Oh, the Holidays are upon us!!! For many it is a time of joy and wonder; for others it is a time where they wonder where is the joy?
As the holiday season approaches we reflect and memories flood in of the holidays of the past. Changing times in our lives can present challenges to find the happiness we had as a child or those magical years when our children were young when they ran to open their Christmas gifts. We can still find joy in the season even if our life situations have changed dramatically. One of the best ways is to give back to others in the community.
Below are just a few suggestions:
- If you are blessed financially find a needy family to adopt to help with gifts or holiday food. If you are a baker, make a few extra pies or cookies and take them to the fire and or police departments to show your appreciation.
- Donate blood if your health allows. The holidays are always a time where this precious donation can make a big difference.
- Make or buy Christmas Cards to send along with Meal on Wheels participants. A little holiday cheer goes a long way.
- Buy a toy and wrap it and take by your local Toys for Tots location. This is a great way to make a child’s holiday bright!
- If you love your pets; consider making a food, toy, bed or cash donation to one of the local humane societies to help them care for the less fortunate pets.
- Organize with some friends or church group to go to assisted livings or nursing homes to singChristmas carols for the residents.
- Hold a “No-Cookie Cookie Exchange.” There’s no baking, no shopping, and no stress for a funfilled evening. Invite friends over and have them bring a light snack to share for a relaxing evening of good food, good laughs, and lots of good cheer. Optional idea, have each guest bring a gift to donate to a teen at a local outreach center.
The holidays can be a time of great satisfaction when we look outward and see how we can give back to others or our community.